Friday, June 13, 2008

THANK YOU DANNY and Road KILL

It's been wild for me today, I have been tied up in conferences, debates, deliberations or other such events including a special awards dinner with a speaker etc. etc. I have not been very accessible for Lynn. And, I could not get wireless Internet last night. Today, I was tied up from 7am until now- it's around 11:30pm. Between voting on amendments and debating issues, I did squeeze in a post and I did have a glass of wine at dinner so that helped ease my day a bit. I lifted my glass and thought of Lynn, sent some positive thoughts and even said a little prayer-Unfortunately though, I have not been able to take any phone calls which might have been better for Lynn then my thoughts and prayers.

The good news is I did get information about the ride from a couple of voice mails. From the messages and the tone of her voice on each of them, I came to the conclusion that she was in good spirits earlier and then fatigue set in on her.

Lynn and her posse took the shuttle into town to the village pizza place for dinner tonight- she sounded in good spirits at that time- although when she started to name the town, she realized she did not "know where she was"--

If you want to see the town name, please go to the link I placed in the very first post- I, myself am too tired to look it up. She said it was "a lot of shake and bake" on the roads today---Even more than that though, she elaborated, "These are the roughest roads I've ever been on in my life."

She also said she did the hammerhead option- which put her riding about 79 miles. She averaged about 18.9 mph.

It was evident in the later voicemail, that she was tired. She said she was lying in her tent and there were bright security lights shining in on her. She cussed the lights on voicemail and then softly said for the second or third time in my messages-how thankful she was for Danny and how he helped her prepare for this by getting her into shape.

She said she had hardly slept since the beginning of this ride. Hmmm- that may be an area we should all help her brainstorm about- as she will NEED sleep on the ride across the country- oh wait- I think they are actually staying in hotels for that- I'll check on it.

Anyway, one story she told on her new riding buddy- part of her posse- "Crazy Tom" is this--

He belongs to a team called "Road Kill" - as they ride along if they see a dead animal, they stop and put beads around them. For example, dead rabbit or dead snake-it doesn't matter, as long as the body is not completely mutilated- the team stops and puts jewelry around "their little heads."

I thought I'd leave you all with that- I'm not quite sure how I feel about that- I probably need time to "process" that a bit- is it honoring them or just plain "crazy"- You be the judge---it's just too bad I have the images in my head right before bed. Thanks lynnnnnnnnn!!!

No comments: