Thursday, July 24, 2008

ROAD RASH

About a week ago, Lynn took a fall on one of her many training rides. She emailed me that day and commented in a casual way in the email that she had bad road rash. Not knowing any better, I assumed it was a rash in her groin or other such private area and I did not ask much about it or seem the least bit concerned. Then, I saw her in person with a large scrape on her arm and a big round rug burn area on her shoulder. I asked in excitement, "What in the world happened?" She said, "I told you I had road rash." In addition to what was visible, apparantly, she said her back side took even more of the fall, but she was not bothered by it at all. She continues her training for the big ride in September. She does interval training in the middle of the week and long rides on Saturday and Sunday.

For those of you just joining the blog I wrote a bit about the blog previously and I will share it here:

To me, Lynn already embodies the spirit of American adventure- but I believe this ride will be in a way- a rite of passage for her or in this case a Ride of passage. It's interesting to me that she has chosen this particular moment in time-in her life- for the longest, hardest ride of her life-a ride that will take her - alone and collectively with others- through many cities, towns, cultures and I'd suppose- changes. What changes? I don't know. I'm sure she doesn't know. But - sometimes you just know that you know you are going to be changed by something. I think this will change her. I'm "joy"-My part is to share with the world or rather Lynn's circle of friends, whatever she wants shared while on her cycling adventures...and of course to add my own commentaries on the journey. So, as the journey unfolds, I'll be here-writing for or as "Lynn." I don't know much about "cycling language" or what it could possibly feel like to ride hundreds of miles a day. But, I'll use my imagination to report to you whatever I hear in Lynn's voice or whatever I feel through her words or pictures.

I'm proud of Lynn-all that she is and might continue to become in this life-She is a wonderfully unique person and just as E.E. Cummings said, "To be nothing but yourself ...in a world which is doing its best, night and day to make you somebody else – Means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting." That-- I understand. So my words to Lynn are trust in your own unfolding- It just happens. Even if you think this is just going to be one heck of a good workout.

No comments: