Thursday, October 9, 2008

Last 2 days/summary by Lynn




For those of you that are still reading the blog, this will probably be
the last entry. I finished my transcontinental tour on Thursday Oct.
2. Our final destination was Tybee Island in Georgia. It was a short
day of 87 miles. There was a banquet that evening where Susan handed
out plaques to us with our pictures. She made memorable comments to
each of us as we accepted our award. I am glad the ride is over and
that I was able to do every mile without being sagged.

There were four memorable days. The first day was rough with the full cramping I
experienced riding from San Diego to El Centro CA. Day 8 was the
hardest day of riding I have EVER experienced in all my days of cycling
when we rode from Socorro NM to Ruidoso NM. We had 30 mph headwinds
with 7250 ft. of climbing. It was a brutal day. We struggled to go 8
mph downhill. The third day I remember was day 16 when we left
McAlester OK and headed to Mena Arkansas. We rode the Talimena Parkway
with 10,000 feet of climbing and fast descents. Mike and I sang show
tunes, 70's and 80's songs and country music as we climbed. I had a
fun day.

The best day was day 11 when I hooked up with Mike riding
from Clovis NM to Amarillo TX. That's when I started riding with Mike
everyday. He pulled me the rest of the way across the country and made
me stronger for it. His objective was to train and get stronger on
this tour and I wanted the same thing. It worked out perfectly. Susan
(tour director) told me after the banquet that once the two of us
started riding together the crew always looked for us on the road and
would say there goes Mike and Lynn.

I'm very lost without him now. I'm so used to seeing him everyday and now there is emptiness.
I need a new goal. I've ridden some since returning home on Friday, but my legs and bike are shot at this point. Both need an overhaul. I probably should give both a slight rest.

Thanks to everyone for your tremendous support and encouragement.

It has truly been an emotional and physical journey for me. I have learned a lot about myself these last four weeks.

Pictures- Stage win in Eufaula, Alabama and getting a rental car to come home-subtitle: saying goodbye to Mike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lynn:

Just reading about your fantastic achievement!! Good on ya!! Looks like a challenge I might enjoy?? what do you think!?!

Hope you are recovering well... LOve to hear more about it..

Congrads again buddy

xoxo

Trish